By: Josh Parsons Oct 29, 2013
(Photo by @MylesHerod)
Although you’d never guess it, Tokyo’s Miyu has been fronting punk and rock bands for years. For indie week, she brought here ever-so-quite solo work, displaying a skill for rock ‘n’ roll song writing in an acoustic setting. It was catchy and the jingle bells on her ankles provided a refreshing alternative to the loudness wars of Indie Week. On the other hand, she was perhaps a bit too quiet to stand over the drunken roar of the bar.
By: Erin Fahy October 28, 2013
If the Hives had a baby with Jack White and Otis Redding had babysat, you’d get oOohh Baby Gimme Mores (OBGMs as they are known on T-Shirts). Each of the members brings something unique and their sound together is absolutely phenomenal. Songs were frantic with soul and oh so danceable!
I had been standing by the bar watching them set up, and see some of their dedicated fans start filling the front of stage area. What transpired next is a bit of blur. The band started; and a wave of intense energy filled the entire bar. I have never, ever seen a crowd react to a band that violently; dancing, singing, glow sticks flying and screaming. The band ate it up with a spoon and gave back so much more. I walked out of the bar in a complete daze, could not stop talking about it for days!
By: Erin Fahy, October 28, 2013
This type of sound is one of my guilty pleasures. A Punk Big Band, akin to Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies and Brian Setzer. While the vocals weren’t as strong as I’d like, and I found that there seemed too many bodies on stage, they have obviously been working on this a while and their sound is solid.
Seemed pretty tame for the type of music; the audience was into it but lack of energy. They ended on a ballad which was an interesting choice.
- Indie Week Report Card: The C'Mons @ The Silver Dollar Room 92%
- Indie Week Report Card: Frankie McQueen @ The Hideout 100%
- Indie Week Report Card: Heartcopy @ Czehoski 68%
- Indie Week Report Card: Falls @ Silver Dollar 84%
- Indie Week Report Card: Fuss @ Cherry Cola's 72%
- Indie Week Report Card: Air Marshal Landing @ Hideout 72%
- Indie Week Report Card: Open Air @ The Hideout 92%
- Indie Week Report Card: CRAWL @ Bovine Sex Club 100%
- Indie Week Report Card: Slyde @ Hideout 72%
- Indie Week Report Card: Of Gentlemen and Cowards @ The Hideout 100%