By: Shannon Bryan December 6, 2013
Toronto singer/songwriter Brodie Dakin offers his first solo full length album, An Audience w/ The Winter Wolves, a unique project that brings together a number of musicians to fill each track. Jazz bass, guitar, keys and trumpet all make appearances, lending a variety of different styles to the 10-song album.
By: Sheena Lyonnais December 5, 2013
There is something captivating about Lowell, the Toronto singer who recently signed with Arts & Crafts. She'll be releasing her first album through the label next year, the follow-up to her magical debut, If You Can, Solve This Jumble--the album she released with UK supergroup Apparatjik. Lowell's performance at the Drake on Tuesday was a preview of what's to come, dreamy tracks paired with an unmistakable energy that is both alluring and sweet. I once claimed that Lowell has the potential to become huge, and after her performance this week I stand by my proclamation. With Arts & Crafts backing her here in Canada, and an already seasoned following overseas, she is positioning herself to become a key player in the scene. The crowd at the Drake was clearly into the performance, which was both powerful and funny at times. Here are a few photos we managed to snap of Lowell and her homage to cheerleading and the Leafs.
By: Sheena Lyonnais November 11, 2013
Cherie Currie, lead singer of the revolutionary band the Runaways and author of Neon Angel, arguably one of the best music memoirs of our time, tears into Toronto tomorrow with a headlining show at Lee's Palace. Having recently won the Rock Legend Award at the Malibu Music Awards, Currie found herself on stage performing with guitarist Lita Ford for the first time in more than 35 years. The emotions that brought back naturally revved up a desire to reunite the band that brought them together.
- Deaf By Dawn: My Bloody Valentine Return To Kool Haus
- Father & Son: Bill and Joel Plaskett At The Danforth
- Sheezer Prove Frighteningly Fun At Lee's Palace
- Album Review: The Cardinal Dream - The Universal Round
- Indie Week Report Card: TJ Hollywood @ The Rivoli 100%
- Indie Week Report Card: The Ascot Royals @ Rivoli 80%
- Indie Week Report Card: Craig James Laur @ Free Times Café 100%
- Indie Week Report Card: Miyu @ Czehoski 72%
- Indie Week Report Card: The oOohh Baby Gimme Mores @ Cherry Cola's 100%
- Indie Week Report Card: The Drop Dead Pin-ups @ Cherry Cola's 64%